“LECCO CROSSROADS OF HISTORY”
The symbol of the city is the Bridge of Azzone Visconti, also known as the Old Bridge (Ponte Vecchio), built between 1336 and 1338 by a member of the Visconti family as a link between the city, Valsassina and the eastern shore of Lake Como with the district of Milan (50 km), home of the important event "Expo 2015" at the exhibition center in Rho.
Built at the point where the lake is re-injected into the river Adda, along which runs a nice long bike path which crosses many countries, including Brivio, Trezzo d'Adda, Vaprio d'Adda and Cassano d'Adda, this bridge has undergone several changes over the years: it was initially to 8 arches, which were then brought to 10 and then to 11, and was defended by two towers and a drawbridge.
The nineteenth-century Basilica of St. Nicholas is located at the northern end of the historic center, in an elevated position. This interesting building was completely rebuilt in 1830 by architect Giuseppe Bovara, and yet still has the remains of the ancient wall that are joined to the circular tower of the Gothic bell tower. Inside, there are traces of the thirteenth-century church frescoes in the Chapel of the Baptistery and the late fourteenth century.
A typical example of the art sober late-eighteenth-century Palazzo Belgiojoso Lecco is refined, in Corso Matteotti, made up of spaces porches and balconies suspended, once owned by the properties of Mellerio Belgiojoso is now the Civic Museum of Archaeology and Natural History Museum. Very interesting and rich, these exposures have important sections related to the history and the Lecco area, such as the part dedicated to ancient tradition steel industry.